Nursing Research & Other
Types of Degrees Nursing Research & Other Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Nursing Research & Other Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Other Registered Nursing, Nursing Administration, Nursing Research and Clinical Nursing Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
Skills for Other Registered Nursing, Nursing Administration, Nursing Research and Clinical Nursing Majors
A major in other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Abilities for Other Registered Nursing, Nursing Administration, Nursing Research and Clinical Nursing Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing student include the following:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Nursing Research & Other Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Nursing Instructors and Professors||24.0%||$73,490|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing Research & Other?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||238|
|Hispanic or Latino||525|
Students from other countries are interested in Other Registered Nursing, Nursing Administration, Nursing Research and Clinical Nursing, too. About 0.6% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Nursing Research & Other Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $75,510 to $110,030 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing. This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Nursing Research & Other
Some degrees associated with other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Some College Courses||4.1%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||25.3%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||1.0%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||1.7%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||1.0%|
Online Nursing Research & Other Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 167 schools offered some type of other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||16||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||1||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||11||3|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||9||6|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||1||1|
Is a Degree in Nursing Research & Other Worth It?
The median salary for a other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing grad is $81,350 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 104% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $829,000 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Nursing Research & Other
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to other registered nursing, nursing administration, nursing research and clinical nursing.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Family Practice Nurse/Nursing||15,536|
|Adult Health Nurse/Nursing||2,012|
|Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse/Nursing||1,266|
|Public Health/Community Nurse/Nursing||1,022|
|Critical Care Nursing||643|
|Clinical Nurse Leader||527|
|Nurse Midwife/Nursing Midwifery||475|
|Clinical Nurse Specialist||428|
|Perioperative/Operating Room and Surgical Nurse/Nursing||236|
|Maternal/Child Health and Neonatal Nurse/Nursing||211|
|Emergency Room/Trauma Nursing||37|
|Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing||35|
|Palliative Care Nursing||23|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Aleksahgabrielle under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.